- 1/2 cup Moong dal (split)
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 cups of water
- almonds as required
- optional: a pinch of saffron/ saffron color
1. Wash the moong dal and soak it in excess water for 4-6 hours.
2. After that, make it into a thick paste using mixer grinder, adding few spoons of water required to grind.
3. Heat sugar and water in a pan until the sugar dissolves completely. Add cardamom powder. (If adding saffron/ saffron color, add at this stage. I haven’t used food color in my recipe.)
4. Take a thick bottom pan and add ghee. Add the moong dal paste. Keep stirring and pressing the moong dal paste. In medium flame do continue stirring until you get the moong dal’s aroma. It took approximately 20-25 mins for me to get the sweet aroma of dal. By now raw smell of the dal would be disappeared.
5. Add the sugar syrup and mix well with the dal paste. Reduce the strove heat and cook for 5 more minutes with the pan covered with lid.
6. Halwa consistency appears. Open the lid and give a stir to the halwa.
7. Garnish with almonds or desired nuts.
Yummy Moong dal halwa is ready!! Tastes close to badam halwa.. try and enjoy!